- This event has passed.
7th Master Class with Ana Gomez: EMDR Therapy & Chronic Shame in Children with Complex Trauma & Dissociation
March 19 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm EDT
Shame is a meta-emotion that remains at the center of complex trauma and dissociative processes and is underneath most childhood emotional disorders. Due to the chronicity of their traumas, these children carry within them a sense of defectiveness and unworthiness that feed entrenched defenses, division in their emerging personality and may also keep the therapeutic process stagnant. The therapist’s own shame may also become activated and with it contribute to the lack of progress and poor therapeutic outcome. Shame is relational as the child sees themselves through the eyes of a rejecting, dysregulating, and unavailable other. The healing of core symptoms in dissociative and chronically traumatized children involves the work with caregivers and the generational wounds that maintain such shame-states and with it sustain chronic and pervasive symptomatology. This presentation will support clinicians in understanding the origins of shame as well as how to work with it throughout important phases of EMDR treatment. Strategies and foundational skills that can be used during the preparation phase to give meaning and context to shameful affective states while promoting mentalization will be addressed. Top-down and bottom-up approaches and strategies will be covered as well as ways to titrate the entrance into the mind of the child. We will cover how to compassionately and playfully accompany children as they arrive into such dysregulating states and how to enter the memories that lay at the core and center of their shame. We will address parts work and the differences in how the treatment is provided to children when shame exists within a fragmented inner system versus children that are far along the continuum toward integration and association.
Clinicians will be able to:
- 15 min- Cite theories and etiological factors in the origins of shame.
- 45 min- Identify strategies to work with caregivers and the generational wounds that maintain shame-states and with it perseverate chronic and pervasive symptomatology
- 45 min- Identify strategies and foundational skills that can be used during important phases of EMDR treatment
- 15 min- Identify top-down and bottom-up approaches and strategies as well as ways to titrate the entrance into the mind of the child as they arrive into such dysregulating shame- states.
- CE-Classes.com is the provider of CE’s.
- Licensed Professionals should contact their regulatory boards to determine course approval.
- Certificates will be awarded after completion of the workshop and will print their own certificate after registering at Ce-classes.com by entering your confirmation number or keycode and completing an evaluation form and quiz.
- There are no known conflicts of interest for these workshops.
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 2117
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
Proof of Weekend 2 Completion of The EMDR Basic Training is required for attendance.
Grievances must be put in writing to Info@anagomez.org or firstname.lastname@example.org
ADA assistance: Please contact Jim Mason at email@example.com if special accommodation is required.