- This event has passed.
8th Master Class with Ana Gomez: Self- & Other-Directed Aggression Within the Context of Complex Trauma & Dissociation: EMDR Therapy & Adjunct Approaches with Children
April 30 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm EDT
Violent children must self-organize to meet the internal and external demands of having to co-exist with daily reminders of their trauma. They carry truncated animal defenses, internalization of wounding attachment figures, and shame which lay at the core of their challenges. Dysregulation, emotional constriction and dissociation become part of their inner everyday reality. Violence directed toward others as well as self-attacks and self-betrayal are often present, constituting one of the biggest challenges for EMDR therapists. The presence of perpetrator-imitating parts that hold a strong attachment to wounding figures is at the core of the major conflicts inside the dissociative system and with-it incidents of self-harm or violent acts towards others. This presentation will provide a framework to understand and work with self-and other-directed aggression and hostility in children within the eight phases of EMDR therapy. Portals and entry routes into hostile and aggressive parts that meet the needs of the child and their developmental capacities will be provided. How to utilize the magic that is at the center of being a child; the use of metaphors, play therapy, Sandtray and expressive arts strategies within the EMDR framework will be covered. How to join the child while providing the companionship, containment, co-regulation, and co-organization of their experiences which provide the foundation for integration and healing to take place will be addressed. Parts work and tips on the labor that is often needed with hostile, critical, and perpetrator-imitating parts will be covered as well as the systemic work that needs to accompany the treatment of such children.
Clinicians will be able to:
- 15 min- Cite contributing factors that are at the center of hostility and violence in children.
- 45 min- Utilize Portals and entry routes into the mind of the child that meet the needs of the child and their developmental capacities.
- 30 min- Utilize the magic that is at the center of being a child as we use metaphors, play therapy, Sandtray and expressive arts strategies within the context of EMDR therapy.
- 30 min- Utilize parts work and tips on the labor that is often needed with hostile, critical and perpetrator-imitating parts as well as the systemic work that needs to accompany the treatment of such children.
- CE-Classes.com is the provider of CE’s.
- Licensed Professionals should contact their regulatory boards to determine course approval.
- Certificates will be awarded after completion of the workshop and will print their own certificate after registering at Ce-classes.com by entering your confirmation number or keycode and completing an evaluation form and quiz.
- There are no known conflicts of interest for these workshops.
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 2117
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
Proof of Weekend 2 Completion of The EMDR Basic Training is required for attendance.
Grievances must be put in writing to Info@anagomez.org or firstname.lastname@example.org
ADA assistance: Please contact Jim Mason at email@example.com if special accommodation is required.